Thursday 2 July 2009

Thursday 2nd July

Wow, its been such a busy few weeks since the elections I’ve barely had time to stop, so apologies for not being able to blog any sooner!


I have got lots to fill you in on though. Since the elections I’ve had my induction training with all the other new county councillors, I’ve met the senior directors and had vital IT training. 


I’m thrilled to have been given extra responsibility as I’ve been made Chairman of the Corporate Parenting board, which means I’m responsible for dealing with issues such as parenting, fostering and adoption across Lancashire. It was a very pleasant surprise as I wasn’t expecting to be given such a high-profile position already, but it’s a challenge I welcome wholeheartedly and I hope with my experience working as a magistrate I will be able to make a difference. 


I’ve also taken a seat on the Overview and Scrutiny Committee and the Standards Committee which will no doubt keep me busy. 


Almost straight away, people have been approaching me about issues they are concerned about and I’ve got stuck into each of them. I’ve always vowed to be an accessible councillor and I don’t want to let anyone down.


This week I attended a forward planning meeting for the future of Crawshawbooth, Goodshaw and Loveclough. However, it didn’t quite go to plan. I was very disappointed at how badly organised the meeting was - the location was far too small and there were too many people. Unfortunately we couldn’t go ahead with the meeting and have now rescheduled for another time, in a more suitable location. I will keep you updated.


I did also manage to take a few days off and travel down to Wimbledon with Karina and my daughter. We had fantastic seats in Centre Court and witnessed Andy Murray win the second round. The atmosphere was incredible and it was exactly what I needed after the elections. I’m still waking up at 5am every morning like I was during the campaigning! 



No comments:

Post a Comment